Some Answers To Your Rightful Questions

Going to study abroad is not an easy decision to take. Especially when you will need to spend time, energy and money during your prolonged stay in a country you are not very familiar with, except through internet, books and researches perhaps.

We understand your need.We have made a compilation of some common questions and concerns that may come to your mind so that you can get clarification right from the comfort of your home. We urge you to glance through them.

Indian government does not allow International/ Foreign passport holder students to work during a study in India.
However, students who want to explore work opportunities after study may be given work permits on condition that they fulfill certain criteria demanded by the immigration office and have been hired by any organisation a paid job.
NRI (Non-Resident Indian), *OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India) and PIO (Persons of Indian Origin) are exempt from this. Such a student can work and study in India.

*People of Indian Origin (PIO) of certain categories who migrated from India and acquired citizenship of any Foreign country (except Pakistan and Bangladesh) are granted the OCI status (so long as their present Country allows dual citizenship).

International students are not allowed to take up internships and training in India unless it is a part of the programme that they are pursuing.
Here are some more internship related points worth noting...

  • If internships and trainings are to be taken up by international students in India, those are unpaid.
  • OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India) and PIO (Persons of Indian Origin) students will need to take permission from their base university/institute they were enrolled with, before taking up any part-time jobs.
  • There is no hourly limit on jobs for such OCI and PIO students who want to work and study in India.
  • Whatever internship taken up by you in the light of the above discussion must be relevant to the programme you are studying.

They are all of the Indian origin and have migrated to any abroad country with citizenship of that country except Pakistan and Bangladesh. Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) status is given to a foreign citizen of Indian origin to live and work in India indefinitely.

This was done in response to the demands of dual citizenship (Indian constitution does not allow dual citizenship) by the Indian Diaspora in 2005.

OCI is not an actual citizenship of India and has many limitations, such as no right to vote, no right to hold constitutional offices, and no right to buy agricultural properties. It is actually a life-time multiple entry VISA status to India.

NRIs (Non-Resident Indians) are Indian Citizens who live in another country continuously for a combined total of at least 183 days in a financial year. They get facilities like special bank accounts in Indian banks, can own land/property in India, their earnings outside India are not taxed in India, a special quota of seats are reserved for them in Indian universities, they have the right to vote while staying in India.

(PIO) Persons of Indian Origin are overseas citizens of India, and such a card remains valid for a lifetime provided a person enjoying PIO status has a valid passport. The PIO card scheme was launched before OCI card scheme came into force.

There are a few differences in the eligibility, benefits, restrictions, costs to both the PIO and OCI cards.

There are many Indian institutes which reserve 10-15% of their seats for NRI, PIO and OCI students.

Due to their Indian root/origin, such students do have the edge over other foreign nationals in terms of finding work while studying in India, provided they produce certain documents under these categories.

  • Academic transcripts as a proof of their last educational level
  • Employers Certificates of parents with full details of employment designation issued by the employer
  • Valid passport and visa documents of the student
  • Valid Passport and visa documents of parents
  • Migration certificate
  • Sponsorship letter from parents/parent
  • Letter from the branch manager of the bank branch in which the student is holding Non Resident Rupee account
  • No objection certificate( wherever required)
  • Scanned copy of PIO OCI cards
  • For NRI students, letter from the Indian Embassy, where parents are working, indicating the NRI status of the parent

Yes, you can work in India after the completion your programme if you get employment. You can get an Employment Visa for a year which can be extended. You can opt for a variety of jobs under this kind of visa and even work on a contract basis.
However, the restrictions of Employment Visa are...

  • You must be employed at a skilled position only, for example, as a senior executive or at a managerial position
  • You should be earning at least USD $25000 annually or over Rs. 16 lakhs.

You can apply for a provisional Student Visa for 6 months from Indian Mission abroad. Once you get a confirmed admission, you can apply for a Student Visa to the local FRRO/FRO along with necessary documentary evidence of confirmed admission, financial standing etc.

Yes, you can, provided you have confirmed admission to a course in a reputed/recognised institute in India.

Your Student Visa can be of 5 years or for the duration of the course whichever is earlier.

You need to register yourself compulsorily with the local Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) within 14 days of arrival. If you are a Pakistani student, you need to do this within 24 hours.

Registration with the local FRRO is mandatory. The FRRO provides three major services for foreigners:

  • Registers your presence, issues a residence permit (RP), and registers any change of address
  • Extends your visa if there is any need
  • Grants exit visas
    (Exit visa will be needed if you are in the extension process).

No. However, the overall limit of your Student Visa cannot exceed more than 5 years.

Yes; provided your university/institute permits, you have suitable documentary evidence to this effect which need to be submitted to the local FRRO/FRO.

Yes, they are, as it is mandatory for all universities/institutions offering professional and technical courses to be recognised by the national level statutory bodies established for the maintenance of norms and standards. Indian degrees are recognised worldwide.

We have ambulance facilities to take care of any medical emergencies and resident doctor in the campus.

We have hostel accommodation for international students located on campus with all facilities available including 100% healthy and organic food.

All foreign students coming to India need to undergo a medical test for AIDS. The Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) requires this test as a pre-requisite for obtaining the Residence Permit Form.

All PIO students staying in India longer than 6 months are required to register with the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO). You will need the following documents for registration:

  • Photocopy of the passport and initial visa
  • Your photographs
  • Details of residents in India
  • HIV test report from one of the WHO recognised institutions
  • Bonafide certificate from the university/college/institution
  • Proof of Bank Account/sufficient funds for non-scholarship students