The pharmaceutical industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the world today. There is tremendous progress being made in pharmaceutical science in terms of cutting-edge research, advanced treatments and modern medicines.
There has also been a significant rise in the number of students pursuing pharmaceutical science in top pharmacy colleges in India and around the world in the last few years. This has led to an increase in qualified and well-trained professionals dedicated to the pharmaceutical industry. Let’s take a look at the current and future trends of pharmacy in India.
Current Scenario of the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry
The Indian pharmaceutical sector is one of the fastest growing industries with a lot of potential. Currently, the pharmaceutical industry in India is valued at 50 billion US dollars. The pharmaceutical industry in India is expected to reach 65 billion US dollars by 2024 and 130 billion US dollars by 2030.
Globally, India is a major exporter of affordable pharmaceuticals, with over 200 countries served by Indian pharmaceutical exports. India supplies over 50% of Africa’s requirement for generic medication, over 40% of the USA’s demand for generic medication and over 25% demand of all medicine in the UK.
India also accounts for over 60% of global vaccine demand, and is a leading supplier of diphtheria, tuberculosis and measles vaccines. 70% of WHO’s vaccines are sourced from India. India is rightly known as the “The Pharmacy of the World”.
Even during the COVID-19 pandemic, India was one of the few nations to actually conduct ground-breaking research on formulating a vaccine and managed to create an indigenous vaccine. This data shows that the Indian pharmaceutical sector is thriving and that there is a lot of future scope in pharmacy in India.
Cutting-edge Innovations in Healthcare and Pharmacy
The healthcare industry is seeing a lot of innovations in various spheres. Cutting-edge research and dynamic new technologies have become a reality in pharmaceutical science. Here are some of the innovations that are coming up in this sector:
- Smart devices that can detect diseases based on your pulse rate, breathing patterns, heart rate etc. are prevalent in the market to help make healthcare accessible and stress-free.
- Many companies are working on making personal healthcare bots a reality as these bots can perform basic healthcare services like dispensing medicines and connecting with healthcare providers when the need arises.
- Exoskeletons are another invention fast gaining traction in this sector. Persons suffering from joint and bone problems can use this technology to improve mobility.
- Personal healthcare diagnostic tools are also becoming a household reality. People are now able to measure blood sugar levels and blood pressure levels from the comfort of their homes.
- Companies are also creating futuristic and personalised medications that can provide consumers with food-like nutritional value, while also helping control sugar levels, sodium levels and more.
Top Programs in Pharmaceutical Science
There are many pharmacy courses after 12th that you can pursue for a bright career in the field. Here are some of the top programs you can consider if you are serious about a career in pharmacy:
- Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm)
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Pharmaceutical Science
- PhD in Pharmacy
Career and Future Scope in Pharmaceutical Science
Students pursuing pharmaceutical science can rest assured about the growing demand for skilled professionals in the industry. Hospitals, clinics, pharmacies and drug research and development companies are constantly looking for skilled professionals. You can have a bright career in the field if you have the right qualifications.
Make sure that the college you apply to is approved by the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI) as per the Pharmacy Act 1948. Such colleges have to follow a strict code of conduct with regards to their curriculum, expertise of their faculty members and the lab facilities available on campus. Studying in such a college can help you gain the right career opportunities in pharmaceutical science.
These are the top career options in pharmaceutical science:
- Drug Inspector
- Hospital Pharmacist
- Quality Assurance Officer
- Production Executive
- Research and Development Scientist
- Biotechnology Consultant
Pharmacy Education at Sandip University
Sandip University is the best pharmacy college in Nashik with cutting-edge diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD programs in pharmaceutical science. Sandip University’s School of Pharmaceutical Science is approved by the Pharmacy Council of India.
Students at Sandip University are trained in highly specialised labs with latest equipment and facilities. The course curriculum is designed keeping in mind current and future expectations of the pharmaceutical industry. Faculty members are highly qualified with extensive experience in their respective field of expertise.
We offer 100% placement assistance through annual campus placement drives. Leading pharmacy giants and multinational companies participate in these placement drives to recruit fresh talent into their organisations.
Additionally, students have the opportunity to work on their soft skills to develop their personality. So if you have made up your mind to pursue a career in pharmacy, then Sandip School of Pharmaceutical Science is the right destination for you. Good luck!